Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Calm Because of the Storm

Most of the time when I write an entry I do the writing and then I hunt for images to amp up the writing. This time I've been inspired to create an entry around an image. Tornadoes and scary storms abound during our Springtime months. To most people this is terrifying, as it should be. Driving in the rain freaks me the fuck out, I'm the first to admit that. However, I have to say sitting in the dark on my couch and listening to an Earth shaking storm is one of my favorite things to do. I hope I don't sound disrespectful to those who have lost their families and/or homes in a tornado. Of course, I feel for them and would never wish that on anyone. Having said that, there is a level of respect I have for the storm itself. The power and intensity calms me. Seems like that would have the opposite effect on me but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I have a strong will to survive but when it comes to competition...hell no. There's no competing with mother nature. Strip away competition and ego and there you have awe.

The woman in the photograph seems to be celebrating the storm. This is something I would most certainly do during a summer storm if I didn't think my neighbors would call the popo and have me committed. When I was younger I would gladly play in the rain for hours. The first time I ran a mile it was pouring, lightening and thunder all around me. I feel invigorated when it storms....clean, new, energized...I feel almost like it wouldn't surprise or upset me if the storm itself scooped me up and swallowed me. Of course, if that really happened it wouldn't be near as elegant and loving as I imagine. It would be terrifying. But if I had to choose....be paralyzed with fear so much so that it kept me from experiencing something so inherently beautiful....or embrace the beauty within the monster and appreciate its power???? If I had the choice, then I choose the celebration.

These storms are all around us. Our lives are inundated with storms. Heartbreak, failure, vulnerability, illness...they are all storms. But within each one of these storms there is always at least a sliver of celebration to be had. If we look hard enough we can see why we should appreciate the significance of these storms. I feel anger. I feel sorrow and doubt and disgust and confusion and outright rage. But shortly after the onset of these reactions to my storms that celebratory instinct eases in and I begin to feel that strange sense of awe. I might not be able to explain it but I can sure as hell appreciate it. It even has a name- to some it's faith, to me it's hope.

I know a lot of people who cannot move past the initial reactions to their storms and I feel for them. The emotions that go along with storms in nature as well as metaphorical storms in one's life can be crippling. To those people I wish I could give a little piece of that part of me that is comforted by the storms. I really do. I wish they could see what I see and feel what I feel. Peace, serenity, abandon, and adoration. Sliver of sun. Sliver of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment